Welcome

This site is devoted to the wonderful world of books. Books can teach, entertain, amuse, inspire, frighten, thrill, and surprise. I am a frequent visitor to the local library, where I check out several books at a time to ensure that I am never without a good read. My favorite theme is mystery/crime/suspense, although I do switch it up from time to time and throw in a romance story here and there. Must read authors for me are: Harlan Coben, Stuart Woods, James Patterson, Linwood Barclay, Leslie Langtry, Evan Marshall, Elizabeth Gunn, Lisa Gardner, Maggie Sefton, Joy Fielding, Stephen White, Mark Billingham, Sue Grafton, Melissa Senate, and Barbara Freethy, to name a few! Once I have read a book, I will enter my thoughts, comments, questions, opinions, and I am hoping you will do the same.



Sunday, May 2, 2010

"Death Message" by Mark Billingham

The first book that I will discuss is “Death Message” by British author Mark Billingham. He has worked as an actor, tv writer, and comedian. He has written 9 books to date. Unfortunately, no library in my state carries his two newest novels.

"Death Message" is his 7th novel featuring Detective Inspector Tom Thorne, joined by his girlfriend of several months, country music loving Detective Inspector Louise Porter, and his friend, pathologist Phil Hendricks. One thing I notice when reading the writing of Brits is that they use a lot of words that may be unfamiliar to us Americans, which can cause some confusion. Zebra crossing? Kerb? Knackered? Nipping? Bolshie? All in all, I found this book to be most enjoyable, as I did with Billingham’s others. It was very suspenseful, right up until the last page. It involved a very complex story, with so many bad guys it was hard to keep track. There were the corrupt cops, the Black Dog bike gang, evil Turkish men, and a criminal already behind bars. Much of the content deals with Thorne’s police work, but we also get more of a glimpse into his personal life. We see Thorne make a decision to hide information, choosing to handle this situation on his own. This case hits close to home when Hendricks is targeted by a killer. We find out what really happened when Thorne’s father died in a fire. I eagerly await his next novel as I feel there are some questions that were left unanswered (although I do not see that it is carried at any of my local libraries). Will Thorne settle down and get married again? Is Louise pregnant? Who put the glass in Nicklin’s meatballs?

Please feel free to leave your views.

I’ll be back after again after I’ve read James Patterson and Richard Dilallo’s “Alex Cross’s Trial”.

See mew all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment