Welcome

This site is devoted to the wonderful world of books. Books can teach, entertain, amuse, inspire, frighten, thrill, and surprise. I am a frequent visitor to the local library, where I check out several books at a time to ensure that I am never without a good read. My favorite theme is mystery/crime/suspense, although I do switch it up from time to time and throw in a romance story here and there. Must read authors for me are: Harlan Coben, Stuart Woods, James Patterson, Linwood Barclay, Leslie Langtry, Evan Marshall, Elizabeth Gunn, Lisa Gardner, Maggie Sefton, Joy Fielding, Stephen White, Mark Billingham, Sue Grafton, Melissa Senate, and Barbara Freethy, to name a few! Once I have read a book, I will enter my thoughts, comments, questions, opinions, and I am hoping you will do the same.



Sunday, May 16, 2010

"Dark Alley" by Evan Marshall

I am not sure how I discovered Evan Marshall, but he’s been a great addition to my list of must read writers. He has 2 series in his repertoire-“Hidden Manhattan” and “Jane Stuart and Winky” mysteries. He is a literary agent and an expert on fiction writing. I have read and enjoyed all 9 of his books that have been released to date.

In “Dark Alley”, Department of Sanitation supervisor Anna Winthrop returns to lend a hand in solving murders. I find that the setting for these novels is an odd but refreshing choice, as I cannot think of another book I have read where the main character works with garbage-by choice, no less. She comes from money, and her career decision has stunned her family. She likes to play detective, and receives some help from her boyfriend, Officer Santos Reyes. As if her job doesn’t keep her busy enough, she gets involved in her neighbor’s new shady-seeming boyfriend, helps repair her parents’ marriage, and contacts everyone she can think of to break the case and find the person who murdered her employee and 4 others. The story comes to an amazing head, where we find out all sorts of secrets. I may have suspected who the murdered was, but I never would have guessed it involved stolen twins! A great read! Can’t wait for “City In Shadow”!

“Fortune” by Erica Spindler is the next book up for review.

See mew all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment