Welcome

This site is devoted to the wonderful world of books. Books can teach, entertain, amuse, inspire, frighten, thrill, and surprise. I am a frequent visitor to the local library, where I check out several books at a time to ensure that I am never without a good read. My favorite theme is mystery/crime/suspense, although I do switch it up from time to time and throw in a romance story here and there. Must read authors for me are: Harlan Coben, Stuart Woods, James Patterson, Linwood Barclay, Leslie Langtry, Evan Marshall, Elizabeth Gunn, Lisa Gardner, Maggie Sefton, Joy Fielding, Stephen White, Mark Billingham, Sue Grafton, Melissa Senate, and Barbara Freethy, to name a few! Once I have read a book, I will enter my thoughts, comments, questions, opinions, and I am hoping you will do the same.



Tuesday, May 4, 2010

"Alex Cross's Trial" by James Patterson and Richard Dilallo

To say James Patterson has written a few books is putting it mildly. He is an award winning author of myriad novels and he seems to publish a new one weekly! It is difficult to keep up with him! While his themes run the gamut from golf to children with wings, his main character is Alex Cross, who is currently the star of 16 novels.

Well, it took me three days, but I just completed “Alex Cross’s Trial”. This is not a typical Alex Cross story, set in modern times involving a bloody crime scene. Instead, it is set back in the early 1900s, just after slaves were freed, but while segregation still existed, and lynchings were a source of family entertainment. The story it told had sad, horrific, and disgusting elements, as well as happy, uplifting, and inspiring themes. Although the characters were just that, characters, I am sure the stories described were very similar to events that actually happened. It is unbelievable to think that people were treated this way right here in our country. This story was written by Alex Cross, based on journal writings, given to his grandmother, of a lawyer fighting racism in a racist country. I thought it was a great departure, and a welcome one, from Patterson’s usual novels.

Any thoughts on this unique novel?

Next up is Linwood Barclay’s latest, “Never Look Away”.

See mew all later!

No comments:

Post a Comment